get GNU/Linux! community

GNU/Linux help resources

Do you know of any great online resources about GNU/Linux or free software for newcomers and advanced users alike? Please share them here!

I’m a big fan of sites like Unix & Linux Stack Exchange and Ask Ubuntu , which are both question and answer sites for users of GNU/Linux.

Those two web sites seem to be just what you promised them to be. Thanks for the tip. But I have an issue with the term Unix-like. It’s 2020 and there is hardly any Unix in use today. GNU has it in its name that it’s not Unix and even the free BSDs fought an won in court that they aren’t Unix as well.

Back in the 1990s maybe there was an aura of quality and professionalism around Unix so many people tried to apply the name Unix-like to operating systems they liked. Today almost no teenager knows about Unix and we should remind ourselves why Unix wasn’t good enough for Richard Stallman, Linus Torvalds and many more who developed the free operating systems that we still use and love.

And I also have an issue with promoting Ubuntu. It’s not free software. It was even cought being malicious towards its users (sending the inputs of the search engine to Canonical). Only the software distributions approved by the FSF and maybe Debian (only using main) are free software. The others fail to use Linux (a kernel) in a variant that doesn’t consist of binary blobs for a start.

I don’t see why we should advice people who are currently using proprietary software to switch to operating systems which also consist of proprietary software. And device drivers do matter. Even if it works flawless right now, will it still work in two years when everything else in Linux has changed? Will it work on an ARM based device? Stallman invented free software because he couldn’t get a printer to work with a computer.

2 Likes